Other UC Campus / UC Online

IMPORTANT: If you are
     -  an incoming/new UC Berkeley student
     -  a graduating senior
click on the appropriate links above to learn critical information before moving forward.


This page covers undergraduate transfer work taken through another UC’s Summer Session, through UC Online (Cross-Campus Enrollment), or through the Intercampus Visitor Program. Some basics on this type of transfer credit:

  • Will transfer to UC Berkeley for units (quarter units will be converted to semester units upon transfer). These classes follow the same numbering system as UC Berkeley where courses #1-99 are lower division and courses #100-199 are upper division.
  • Will apply to your UC GPA.
  • Will not count for residence requirements including upper division in residence, senior residence, or major residence. 
  • Can satisfy select degree requirements (see "(Pre-)Review for Requirements" section below).

Courses taken through another UC's Extension program will not apply to the UC Berkeley GPA and may or may not be transferable. It is best to discuss taking courses through another UC's Extension program with an L&S College Adviser. 

Taking Coursework at Another UC Campus/UC Online

Coursework taken at other UCs must be evaluated to determine whether credit can be applied to specific degree requirements. 

It is ideal to get your coursework reviewed before taking the course. This gives you a guarantee that a course will count in the way you are planning. However, you may have found this information after taking the course, or may not be able to get a syllabus for review before taking the course. The procedure for review is the same whether it is before you have taken the course or after the course has been posted to your record. 

Step 1: Check the Database of Pre-Approved Courses

You can consult the database of pre-approved domestic courses (or the Admissions’ list of pre-approved Reading and Composition courses) to see if the coursework you have taken (or plan to take) has already been pre-approved for transfer. If your course is not on one of these lists, it will need to be reviewed in order to apply to general education or major requirements. 

Step 2a: Instructions: (Pre-)Review for Major Requirements

Bring your syllabus to your major department for review. If the course is in a different department from your major (i.e. a math course that will apply toward your Psychology major), your major department may have you go to the matching department on campus for review (in this example, the Math Department) and then submit the results of that review to your major department. Ultimately it is up to your major department whether they will accept a transfer course toward a particular requirement.

Step 2b: Instructions: (Pre-)Review for Essential Skills or Seven-Course Breadth

If your course is not UC Berkeley Study Abroad course, or a California Community College course, and is not on one of the pre-approved lists above, complete the Breadth and Essential Skills Transfer Review Google Form and attach a PDF of the course syllabus. 

  • All syllabi must be dated within one year of the term in which you took the course. For example, if you took the course in Summer 2019, the syllabus must be dated for that term or no earlier than Summer 2018. 

  • A course description is not an acceptable substitution for a course syllabus and will not be reviewed. 

  • It is recommended to review the Degree Requirements page for the requirement you are petitioning for to make sure your syllabus aligns with the goals of that requirement. 

  • Please allow 6-8 weeks to receive a response from the Transfer Credit Review Committee. Failure to provide all required information will delay the review of your request. 

The College of Letters and Science cannot review syllabi for Entry Level Writing, Reading and Composition, American History and Institutions, or American Cultures.

After completion of the course(s)

If you took coursework through another UC's Summer Session, request for your official transcript to be sent to UC Berkeley. See the Central Evaluation Unit’s website for Submitting Transcripts.

Cross-Campus Enrollment (UC Online) sends transcripts automatically and questions about Intercampus Visitor (ICV)  credit can be directed to the coordinator once you are approved. 

If you did not have your coursework pre-reviewed, wait for the credit to post to your Academic Progress Report, then follow the instructions in the (Pre-)Review for Requirements section above to have your credit assessed for degree requirements. 


How long does the review process take?

The review process can take 6-8 weeks. Because of this, it can be a good strategy to submit more than one course for review if you have any doubts the course you have selected will be approved. 

Summer Sessions at another UC campus

Information about taking coursework through other UC Summer Sessions can be found on the Summer Sessions website for that UC. You will typically pay higher fees to take Summer Sessions courses at another UC than through UC Berkeley Summer Session, so you may wish to first consider online UC Berkeley Summer Sessions courses instead if cost is a concern. 

Entry Level Writing and Reading & Composition Requirements

If you have already started at UC Berkeley, Entry Level Writing must be completed before Reading and Composition can be taken at another institution.

Financial Aid

If you are on Financial Aid, discuss your plan with the Financial Aid and Scholarships office to see if coursework will covered at another UC.