UC Berkeley Study Abroad


UC Berkeley Study Abroad courses, which includes UCEAP, Berkeley Summer Abroad, and Berkeley Global Internships, are fantastic experiences for undergrads. Some basics on this type of credit:

  • Will transfer for unit credit.
  • Grades earned through these programs will be calculated into the UC GPA.
  • The UC Berkeley Study Abroad website has detailed information about how coursework will or will not show on the official UC Berkeley transcript, depending on the program you attend.

Assessing UC Berkeley Study Abroad Credit

Completion of one of these programs will automatically satisfy the International Studies breadth. This often takes a few months after the completion of the program to be updated on your Academic Progress Report. 

Courses taken through these programs may be evaluated for Seven-Course Breadth. The Berkeley Study Abroad website provides helpful resources, including: 

  • a database of pre-approved breadth courses for various programs
  • guidelines on how to choose courses for breadth evaluation
  • instructions on how to have courses evaluated for breadth requirements 

Those resources can be found on this page for Berkeley Study Abroad College Advising

The process for submitting syllabi for review for breadth requirements is different for UC Berkeley Study Abroad courses than it is for other coursework. Please submit these syllabi to the Study Abroad program, using the link provided above, and not to L&S.

After Program Completion

Coursework from these programs will be transferred automatically. This may take a lengthy amount of time depending on the country you studied in.

If you plan to study abroad in your final semester, you should discuss this with the Berkeley Study Abroad office. If your transcripts will be significantly delayed, you may have to be moved to a future semester's degree list. This does not mean you have to return to UC Berkeley and an L&S College Adviser may be able to write you a letter confirming completion of requirements, but it does mean your offical degree finalization will be pushed back. Learn more about these and related issues on our Graduation page.