Concurrent Enrollment


Concurrent Enrollment is when students plan to enroll in a course(s) at another institution while they are also enrolled in a regular (Fall or Spring) semester at UC Berkeley. 

Beginning Fall 2022, L&S undergraduate students can pursue Concurrent Enrollment without requesting approval from L&S Advising. In other words, no petition is required. Official transcripts will still need to be submitted to UC Berkeley upon completion of the coursework.

Simultaneous Degree students are still required to receive permission from their other college. Students in the Fall Program for Freshmen should consult with their FPF adviser. 

It is the student's responsibility to confirm that the coursework they are taking is transferable and applies to a particular degree requirement. See the Transfer Credit page for more information about transferable coursework, including how to submit transcripts. Students are encouraged to speak with a College Adviser if they have questions about satisfying college requirements.

Concurrent Enrollment FAQ

Enrolling Elsewhere While Not Enrolled at UC Berkeley

If you are not enrolled in UC Berkeley while taking courses elsewhere (e.g. taking courses at a community college while on a break from Cal or another four-year institution), it is important that you read about Transfer Credit to make sure you understand whether your coursework will transfer and how taking coursework at another school may or may not impact your limits on your time at Cal. You may wish to review your plans to enroll in courses at another institution with an L&S College Adviser or Undergraduate Major Adviser as applicable.

If you have been dismissed, you should make an appointment with an L&S College adviser before enrolling in coursework elsewhere to discuss your plan for readmission. 

Concurrent Enrollment Spring 2022 or Prior

If you completed a Concurrent Enrollment course during Spring 2022 or earlier and did not receive L&S approval, then your course will not automatically transfer. 

To submit a retroactive request for concurrent enrollment, fill out the Concurrent Enrollment: Spring 2022 or Prior form. You will be asked to submit an appeal letter to support your request.

Transfer Courses during EGT

If you are planning to apply an approved transfer course to your Berkeley degree, you must meet the graduation deadlines for transfer credit. Otherwise, you should request to move your EGT (Expected Graduation Term) to a future term. See our Preparing for Graduation page to find more information and deadlines for your EGT term.