In order to provide a solid foundation in reading, writing and critical thinking for work in the major, the College requires two semesters of lower division work in composition—Reading and Composition (R&C), Parts A and B, in sequential order.
- All undergraduates must complete the Reading and Composition (R&C) requirement by the end of their fourth semester, or their enrollment will be blocked for the following semester.
- All courses used to satisfy Part A or B of Reading and Composition must be completed with a letter grade of C- or better.
- Students who have been admitted to Berkeley and have not completed Entry Level Writing, must enroll in College Writing R1A which satisfies both Entry Level Writing and the first half of R&C. Please note: A minimum grade of C is required in COLWRIT R1A in order to satisfy Entry Level Writing.
- CLASSIC R44 (completed with a C- or higher) may be used to satisfy either Part A or Part B of R&C. This course may also be used to satisfy Arts and Literature, Historical Studies, or Social & Behavioral Sciences breadth.
- With the exception of CLASSIC R44, courses fulfilling the Reading and Composition requirement may not be applied to Seven-Course Breadth.