To satisfy Seven-Course Breadth at Berkeley follow these guidelines:
Complete one approved course for each of the seven areas with a minimum grade of C- or P.
To find course options for breadth, go to the Berkeley Academic Guide Class Schedule, select the term of interest, and use the 'Breadth Requirements' filter to select the breadth area(s) of interest. When selecting a course, keep the following in mind:
- While some courses may satisfy more than one breadth area, in the end, a course may only be used for one of the approved areas. To satisfy the requirement, complete seven distinct courses, one for each breadth area.
- Students may use up to two courses from any one academic department to satisfy Seven-Course Breadth. This limitation includes all subject areas offered by the department, and if the course is cross-listed (indicated by a 'C' prefix), all the other department(s) offering the course as well. An exception to this restriction is courses offered by Letters and Science ('LS'). Students may complete as many LS courses as they wish for Seven-Course Breadth. This includes LS courses offered through the Discovery and Big Ideas programs.
- Courses fulfilling American History & Institutions, American Cultures or requirements in the major program may also be applied to the Seven-Course Breadth requirement.
- Exams, such as Advanced Placement and International Baccalaureate exams, cannot be used to fulfill breadth requirements.
Courses taken prior to Fall 2016 can be verified for Seven-Course Breadth approval by viewing The Archived Seven-Course Breadth List.
Fall Program for Freshmen (FPF) Students can confirm Seven-Course Breadth options using the Berkeley Fall Program for Freshmen website.
UCEAP Course Options for Breadth
UCEAP courses may be evaluated to fulfill Seven-Course Breadth. To request review of propsective coures in advance of enrolling in a program, please click the 'Evaluation of breadth courses' link on the Berkeley Study Abroad college advising page.
This same linkalso lists previously approved UCEAP courses by country and program.
Study Abroad Option for International Studies Breadth
In addtion to the course options for International Studies breadth published in the Class Schedule, this requirement may also be satisfied by full participation in the UC and UC Berkeley sponsored programs for study abroad listed below. All the required courses for each program must be completed with a C-/P or better.
Completion of study abroad programs sponsored by other accredited colleges and universities is also acceptable provided a student has obtained pre-approval from a College Adviser. Please note that not all programs may qualify.
GCE Advanced Level Exam Options for Breadth (for students admitted fall 2017 and prior)
The college accepts a limited number of GCE A Level exams for Seven-Course Breadth. Those students admitted Spring 2018 and prior are eligible to use these exams for breadth, with scores of A, B or C. Please see the link below for the exams and the breadth areas they satisfy.
Beginning with students admitted Fall 2018 and beyond, the college will no longer accept exams for breadth. Students must complete a college-level course.
To satisfy Seven-Course Breadth with Transfer Work follow these guidelines:
- Final Grade: All transfer courses must be completed with a grade of C- or better, or the equivalent of a Passed (P) grade on the host campus, in order to be considered for Seven-Course Breadth.
- Units: To be eligible for consideration, the minimum unit requirement for a course offered from a campus on the semester system is 3.0 units, and for courses offered from campuses on the quarter system, 4.0 units.
- California Community Colleges: See our California Community College Transfer Credit page for more information on how to select California Community College courses for breadth.
- Other Higher Education Institution: Successful completion of transferable courses from an accredited college university outside of UC Berkeley and the California Community College system may also be considered. Course descriptions and syllabi will be required to make a breadth determination. For more information on pursuing transfer courses for Seven-Course Breadth at another Higher Education institution, select the type of institution at which you plan to take coursework on our Transfer Credit page.
- IGETC or UC Reciprocity: IGETC certification from a California community college or a letter of reciprocity from a UC campus satisfies the Seven-Course Breadth requirement and the Essential Skills requirements. They do not cover American History, American Institutions, or American Cultures.
- Submitting Transcripts. After the institution where you took the course posts grades, submit an official transcript. Review information on how to send transcripts to UC Berkeley at Admissions's Submitting Transcripts to UC Berkeley page (scroll down to find "Instructions for Students").