The coronavirus pandemic made the lives of our students, instructors, and staff very difficult in the Spring 2020 semester. In an effort to alleviate some of the stress students experienced in trying to adapt to an online learning environment, the UC Berkeley Campus and the College of Letters and Science (L&S) adapted policies to support our students during this time.
This page was published in Spring 2020 to keep students informed about how L&S responded to campus policy modifications and current events. Students were notified multiple times by the College that policies were being modified and to refer to this page for policies.
These policy modifications are only applicable for Spring 2020 and may not be applied to other semesters.
Spring 2020 Policy Modifications Summary
- The Chair of the Academic Senate has announced that for Spring 2020 only, the default grades that instructors will give will be Pass and No pass.
A notation on every student’s transcript will explain the changes made this semester. Please bear in mind that future employers and admissions committees will be seeing similar notations on transcripts from virtually every college and university in the U.S.
Classes taken this semester will satisfy University, Campus, College, Major and Minor requirements even though they receive P grades. This includes Reading and Composition, Foreign Language, and Quantitative Reasoning.
Limits on the total number of units taken P/NP will be relaxed.
Graduation GPA standards will be relaxed to take this semester’s P grades into account.
Students will not be put on probation based on P grades, and progress on existing probation will be measured generously.
Students who withdraw this semester will be able to retain future enrollments.
The drop and grading option deadlines have been extended.
While L&S strongly recommends students keep the DPN grading option to ease academic stress, students can request a letter grade provided they do so before Fri, May 8, 2020.
Spring 2020 Deadline Extensions:
- The deadline to drop courses has been moved to Wed, May 6th at 11:59pm.
- The deadline to reduce units in a course offered for a range of units (a variable unit course) has been moved to Wed, May 6th at 11:59pm.
- The deadline to change a grading option from DPN to letter grade or from letter grade to DPN is Fri, May 8th at 11:59pm.
- All other enrollment deadlines are unchanged.